Saturday, August 8, 2009

Stone IPA

Beer: Stone IPA
Brewery: Stone Brewing Co., Escondido, CA
ABV: 6.9%
Style: American IPA
Sample Medium: Bottle
Size: 12 oz

Impression:Ahh yes the Stone IPA. To say this beer has a strong following may be a bit of an understatement. This IPA has won the hearts and loyalty of many. In large part I think Stone has earned that admiration and fanfare as this is a good beer. I think it may actually be on the cusp of great, but I personally can’t quite put it in that category. I think Ruination is a superior beverage in the Stone family. But, this IPA holds its own from start to finish even though I wish there was a bit more body and malt. I really enjoy the grapefruit citrus that permeates the aroma and finish. Unfortunately, the ale finishes with a hint of sour acidity that detracts from the overall experience. That of course is all personal taste as some love being pounded by IBU’s regardless of balance or flavor. The bright straw color, healthy sized head, and brilliant hop aroma all fit well within the IPA style. I would recommend you try this ale with food as it will make a fair paring with virtually anything spicy or dripping in barbecue sauce. In summation, while I prefer labels to printed bottles (unfounded personal preference) given this IPA’s availability I would drink this wherever you find it on tap. It is likely the best option.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shuan, I love this beer always have. I actually like the IPA over the Ruination and always bottled with these when I made a fesh batch. I am happy this is stocked at a grocery store within walking distance.-BNA