Monday, August 3, 2009

Double Dragon

Beer: Felinfoel Double Dragon
Brewery: Felinfoel Brewery Company, Ltd., Llanelli, Wales, United Kingdom
ABV: 4.2%
Style: English Pale Ale
Sample Medium: Bottle
Size: 16.9 oz

Impression: I was immediately attracted to this beer for two reasons. First, it shares the name of one of my all time favorite video games which brought pleasant memories flooding back. Second, at the bottom of the label in rather humble text are the words “the national ale of Wales.” Aside from instantly wondering if there is a national lager of Wales, I figured that between the nostalgia and national endorsement I would likely have a pleasant experience. And, yeah I did. I like Double Dragon. This beer manages to pack a fair amount in while still maintaining a pleasantly understated simplicity. The flavors are earthy, woody, and nutty with mild malt and hopping. At the end of a sip I taste almost a mild toasted popcorn flavor. Really it seems like this beer has an “old soul” which I realize sounds ludicrous. But, it actually smells and tastes of an old bar, as if somehow the wood, smoke and years of spilt beer from a Welsh pub have all made it into the bottle. Of course I mean that in a good way. Admittedly this sounds bizarre, but give Double Dragon a try. I think most anyone would enjoy this ale…Now if I could only find where I put my old Nintendo.

No comments: