Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ruination IPA

Beer:Stone Ruination IPA
Brewery: Stone Brewing Co., Escondido, CA
ABV: 7.7%
Style: Imperial IPA
Sample Medium: Bottle
Size: 22 oz

Impression: This beer is a good time if you are a hop head. Rookies do yourself a favor and pass on this one or you run the risk of breaking your tongue. That's not to say that I buy into all the hoopla on the back of the bottle about ruination, but this beer is way to complex for a inexperienced palate. Rookies looking to enter into the hop world should start with something more approachable like Cascade or Mirror Pond. Essentially this is a hop giant that has been well paired with a malty counterpart to produce an intriguing and enjoyable beverage. Two things I really like: 1) the aroma is a wonderful blend of hop and malt that truly entices 2) The hop bitterness persists with a resounding stamina. Just when the aftertaste has almost hung around too long it is time for another enjoyable swig and your mouth feels happy. The only downside is that after you finish this celebration of hops you want another beer. In closing I enjoy the 7.7% ABV. It snuck up on me a bit and made me delightfully giddy. While Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA still holds the title of my favorite IPA this drink is above average...that is of course if you like your hops served up unremorsefully bold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shaun, being a hop head myself I still only enjoy one and then move on maybe I am also just cheap.