Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mighty Arrow

Beer: Mighty Arrow Pale Ale
Brewery: New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, Colorado
ABV: 6%
Style: American Pale Ale
Sample Medium: Bottle
Size: 12 oz

Impression:I like Mighty Arrow, there it is. It’s not glamorous or ground breaking. It is clean, tight and refreshing. Those are elements I consider essential to pale ales. I also consider Mighty Arrow to be New Belgium’s second most drinkable beer. Second to my favorite New Belgium ware, 2° Below. (If only it weren’t seasonal!) A few noticeable characteristics I enjoy about Mighty Arrow are its blazing clarity, round mellow mouth feel and the smooth farewell as it slides into the abyss of my gullet. I will certainly drink this again. I must admit that London Pride really is my favorite and Mirror Pond my standby pale ale, but Mighty Arrow could push. I recommend anyone who wants to experience mild hopping and a zesty little body pick up a 6-pack, or anyone heading to a social gathering. The New Belgium brand will certainly secure your credibility and the approachability of this ale will provide wide appeal at the function. But, hey you could always tear down a sixer all on your own…I sure won’t judge you.

3 comments:

Sean said...

Sometimes I feel like the only person not in love with Fat Tire. I'll drink it, but too rich or something for my taste. Alaskan Amber is that way for me too.

It's not a Pale Ale, but what's your opinion on New Belgian's "Blue Paddle"?

Shaun said...

I am also not all that in love with Fat Tire. I still drink Fat Tire and respect it, but I typically won’t have more than one or two. I must admit that I have a soft spot for Fat Tire though because it was really my introduction to craft beer back in the day.

Nostalgia aside, I get your point and generally agree. Outside of 2° Below, Mighty Arrow and 1554 I don’t drink much New Belgium beer. So implicitly Blue Paddle doesn’t rank all that highly on my list. This is just conjecture here, but I am willing to bet New Belgium uses the same yeast strain in a lot of their beers.

Anonymous said...

Have not tried but will keep an eye out for it. I prefer the Trippel. -BNA