Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Samuel Smith's India Ale


Beer: Samuel Smith's India Ale
Brewery: Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster), Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, England
ABV: 5%
Style:IPA
Sample Medium: Bottle
Size: 18.7 oz


Impression: Right out of the gate I observed two things about this brew. First the beautiful golden honey color with just the slightest red hue that really made me want to dive right in. Second the billowy white head sitting proudly on top of that inviting golden body. And ok I said two, but the third thing was a gentle sweetness on the first few sips. Of particular interest is a notable lack of hop forward aroma or flavor. This is probably because I have been drinking American IPAs as of late which have exploded with massive citrusy aromas. It is actually refreshing (no pun intended) to experience this more sedate version. Really this reminds me more of a pale ale than what I consider an IPA and at only 5% alcohol I feel pretty confident in that claim. That isn’t to say that this ale lacks malt though. On the finish I really enjoy the present yet subtle maltiness that eases into what can only be described as the beckon for another sip. This beer is crazy drinkable and if you are not a real beer guy, but you want to gain some respect points from your buddies, I recommend going to the next poker night with this. In summation this beer is easy like Sunday morning, and if you don’t go to church on Sunday morning you may even consider cracking one.

No comments: