Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Kirin Light

Beer: Kirin Light
Brewery: Anheuser-Bush, Los Angeles, California
ABV: 4%
Style: Pilsner
Sample Medium: Bottle
Size: 22 oz

Impression:Well there are really no surprises here. This beer provides you with about what you would expect from a Japanese pilsner. This concoction offers one a basic, light bodied, extremely mild lager. The aroma is lackluster, color wantingly light, and the mouth feel is dreadfully thin. Allegedly this lager is brewed with the Saaz hop, whose use in pilsners was popularized by Pilsner Urquell fame, but I really don't detect it. I do however detect some adjuncts on the finish, which cheapens the overall experience and reminds me I am drinking an Anheuser-Bush product. It is unfortunate because I have actually been lucky enough to try one of these in Japan and can assure you they are better over there. In fact there are some stellar Japanese beers like Yebisu Black that would suprise anyone who has only encountered this run of the mill stuff. You would certainly find an ice cold Kirin Light most refreshing on a hot day but, overall this scores pretty low on my list.

No comments: